[Tango-L] Serpentine youth in Zagreb..look out!

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:10:22 EST 2008

Anton Stanley wrote:

> I guess most people would agree with Sorin, that good tango is in the
> eyes of the beholder. But I can't agree. No more than good wine is in
> the taste buds of the beholder. In my opinion, it's got nothing to do
> with which I prefer. I might have a penchant for crappy wine and cheap
> fish and chips. Doesn't make it good cuisine. From my limited
> experience, tango seems to increasingly lack a clear identity and a
> corresponding benchmark for assessment.

If you want benchmarks for assessment, go do International Ballroom!
They've got plenty.

Argentine Tango is a social dance, with no ruling body to define and
control it. As such, it is free to adapt to changing preferences of the
people who dance it. There will always be variation and disagreement, as
any perusal of the discussions about styles shows. There have always
been such differences, there will always be such differences.

Consider that your experience of an "increasing lack of identity" may
simply be due to a wider experience of the existing variation and
discussion that is out there.

> I'm incredulous at the enormous
> variation of opinion on core matters, emanating from this list. A list
> which I suspect, harbors the intelligencia of Tango.

Don't overrate this list. It's a microcosm of the Tango world

Myk
in Canberra