[Tango-L] Tango Styles

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 13 10:07:02 EST 2008

I will give my opinion on this subject with the knowledge that other may have a different one.  I have been trying to explain the differences and evolution of the tango styles since the mid nineties. It has been a very difficult task. The advent of You tube has greatly facilitated this endeavor as they make obvious the differences.

Tom says:

"The reason I say this, is that the tango of each neighborhood always had its own distinguishing aspects, and VU is just one neighborhood."

It is true that historically each neighborhood had its own distinguishing aspects, this is less obvious in modern times.

Tango used to be learnt inside the neighborhood, where the old milongueros taught the new comers, these days there are more uniform tango lessons all over the city that diluted the differences.

Traditional tango as it was danced in the 40s. was always danced in Villa Urquiza, and in many other places as danced by Nito, Zotto, Copello, Pugliese, Diego Difalco, etc.

It was more recently that the style called "Milonguero" from the crowded milongas of downtown became internationally known as "the social form of dancing tango" this in great part due to the fact that the tourists mostly visit the downtown milongas.

In the meantime Traditional tango was danced in Villa Urquiza as always. When people discovered this, they started calling traditional tango,"Estilo Villa Urquiza".

Summary "Traditional tango" and "Villa Urquiza tango" are the same.

Tom Says:

"In my mental organization of tango styles, milonguero is another subset of traditional social tango, as they say, a version of tango suited to crowded, downtown milongas."

Yes, Traditional tango and Milonguero Style are social forms of tango but generally speaking Traditional tango may also be used for stage while milonguero is normally danced socially.

"Now you are saying that Villa Urquiza IS traditional salon tango, and Milonguero is not salon tango. Is that correct?"

Assuming that Tom is addressing me: my answer is :

Villa Urquiza and traditional tango is the same style called by two different names.

Salon tango in Argentina means the style danced at the milongas to differentiate it from the one danced on stage.

Milonguero is therefore one of the Salon styles.

"Nuevo tango is another subset of traditional tango, with considerable influence from fantasy elements borrowed from Todaro to Zotto. Nuevo (to me) has nothing to do with non-tango music."

Nuevo Tango is not "Traditional Tango" it is a form that developed recently as result of Gustavo Naveira, Fabian Salas and Chicho Frumboli, didactic approach to tango. Originally it was an analytic teaching form that slowly, over a period of 10 - 15 years selected  moves from traditional tango and perhaps added some new ones such as piernazos, the back boleo, etc. and in this fashion, Nuevo became a "Tango Style".  As it is being taught and danced by many people.

Nuevo Tango is then another style that may be used socially or for exhibition .

Nuevo tango is danced like all the tango styles to traditional tango music, but for those of us that frequently go to their milongas it is obvious that they have a tendency to use alternative music to have more freedom for their dancing moves.

"Chicho (perhaps the bastard son of nuevo) is one end, but if you ever watch Gustavo (surely the godfather of nuevo) he normally dances with a very traditional salon appearance."

It is true, Gustavo uses a traditional tango embrace to dance but the great majority of the Nuevo Tango dancers use a very open tango embrace as shown in the videos.  Chicho is not a "bastard son of nuevo' he has been there from the very beginnings with Gustavo and Fabian.

 As it is usual in tango each one has his own personal way of dancing even within a particular style.

"Is fantasy a style? "

Fantasy is another name used to describe "Traditional tango" in its more florid appearance. The one where all the possibilities of tango are exhibited socially or on stage.

Best regards, Sergio