[Tango-L] Milonga Codes and weird anecdotes

David dchester at charter.net
Wed Nov 12 14:28:51 EST 2008

Maria,

You're story made me laugh, as I've had many conversations with my wife (OK maybe some of them were arguments), about my inability to pick up on what she is really saying.  Basically, us men (at least in the U.S.) simply are not smart enough to pick up on hints like you listed (sad but true).  You have to communicate in a way that is so simple, that even WE can understand it.

If you say something about the heat, we think you want to talk about the temperature, or if you talk about the concrete floor, we think, "Wow, she can tell how different floors feel, I wonder why I can't do that".

: )

Basically, it just wouldn't occur to many of us that you're hinting about something else.  I've been married for 25 years, and I still don't understand my my wife can't just say, "will you turn on the light", instead of saying, "it's getting a little dark in here".

BTW, I've had the pleasure taking classes (and privates) from Maria (and Gustavo) in Vermont, and let me just say that both of them are two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet (and excellent teachers, too).

Regards (and hopefully our paths will cross again some day),

David