[Tango-L] Milonga Codes and weird anecdotes

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 20:16:41 EST 2008

--- On Tue, 11/11/08, Maria Olivera <ma_olivera at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> I had several experiences myself with the lack of etiquette
> at Milongas...I
> know I was responsible of some of them because I didn’t
> want to look
> "snobby" and I know some people are way too
> sensitive to that idea, so I
> agreed to dance tandas that I should have said "no,
> thanks".

Dear Maria,

   Please!  You must turn down those guys.  When you don't, it only encourages them because they say, "Well, Maria Olivera danced with me and she liked it" as a reason not to improve or to impose themselves on other women.  It is already a ratio problem in most communities where there are many more women than men so that even the most mediocre of dancers is able to dance all he wants and has no incentive to improve. And then with no discouraging words, they call themselves 'teachers' with sometimes less than a year of lessons and dancing.  And the women are not any better.  They hound the men and chase them down until they must go and hide in the restroom so they can have a rest.

   A very kind man once explained it to me. 'It is your body that you are giving to him.  You have the right to choose to whom you give it.'  Don't you agree?

Un abrazo,
Nancy