[Tango-L] The Guided Practica

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 14:30:05 EST 2008

--- On Mon, 11/10/08, Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone in this forum could comment on
> similar experiences and maybe tell us something about the proceedures used at their's. ..all comments welcome

For the past 6 years we've had a real practica, not a "practilonga", on a day separate from class day.  It's become a model for the other 2 practicas in town.  We make the point that it is a working practica to encourage the separation between work and play.  We want milongas to be all play, so we've set a completely different tone for practicas.  Anyone at our practica comes prepared for constructive feedback.

We are fortunate to use a spacious, professional dance studio with walls of mirrors, barres, beautiful wooden floors, and a built-in sound system.  As you enter, you will commonly find people simply walking around the room, sometimes in socks.  Along the short wall of mirrors is where people can do their ochos or molinete exercises.  There is a ronda, but those who are working on something specific usually find a spot in the middle.  When they are ready to actually dance, they join in the ronda.

Only good music is played and may or may not be in tandas.  I try to use different music at the practica than I do for a milonga.  Because it is a practica, I tend to use a little more Rodriguez or Canaro and less Troilo so participants can concentrate more on body mechanics.  Music is adjusted as needed.  If a workshop on milonga was just held, for example, I'll announce a straight half-hour of milonga music, so people can practice the material fully.

As for as teaching goes, Sean and I approach people, as do two other teachers.  Beginning students get their turn first.  I may not work with them personally, but I watch to make sure that they get attention from one of us teachers.  Novices also come a lot and we'll teach them the basic walk and embrace.  For intermediates and above, I usually let them do their own thing, unless I see something glaring or if they've asked me something.  I only have time to check on them once every few weeks.

When I do work with someone, I try to spend at least 15 minutes of quality time with them.  Sometimes it takes half-an-hour.  I trust my more experienced students to help with the new students.  And eventually, those new students will become the experienced students, and so forth.  On occasion I'll stop the music and address everyone about a particular problem or issue.  When the music ends, I'll make any announcements of up coming events.

For me practicas are important in knowing what's happening in the community, moreso than the milongas.  Because it's at the practicas where people are freer to talk, make mistakes, and ask questions.  No excuses necessary.

Trini de Pittsburgh