[Tango-L] I'm Blowing My Nose-Thank You

DocDAS@aol.com DocDAS at aol.com
Sun Nov 9 11:35:49 EST 2008

Hola Tangueros:
I've been dancing tango for about 10 years  and consider myself and
considered a very accomplished tanguero. "Oh yeah! I've  heard that before." Well trust
me ( no the check is not in the mail) or come to  Philadelphia and find out
for yourself. I thought I had heard all the excuses at  milongas, outside of my
home town, where you are a stranger in a strange land,  as to why a lady
turns you down for a dance. But the best ones came recently at  a milonga in NYC
at Dance Studio 101 hosted by the infamous Jorge Torres.
The evening started great with a wonderful series  of dances (more than one
tanda) with charming and talented Latino women. But  then came the topic of
this E-mail some very unusual and actually humorous  excuses. The first is really
'Saturday Night Live' material. I approached this  lady sitting on the long
wooden bench that borders most of the studio and asked  her to dance.  I assure
you she wasn't blowing her nose at the time I made  my request; but she then
turned to her handbag pulled out a tissue and simply  said "I'm blowing my
nose." I was a little surprised; even as a physician, who  is well aware of the
calls of nature, I wasn't sure if this was a 'No Thank You'  or some secret
message used to communicate something else at Dance Studio  101. I wasn't
interested in anything other than dance so on to the next  one.
      I was now prepared for anything. A little  later in the evening I
approached another women also sitting on the bench. When  I approached her she
turned toward the large mirror behind the bench. Maybe she  was checking out her
makeup, hair or whatever. Oh Silly me; when she turned back  in my direction I
asked her for a dance. "No thank you", she said. "I'm  stretching." I knew
immediately that my extensive knowledge of Physical Medicine  And Rehabilitation
could have easy assisted her with her simple isotonic stretch  and helped her
overall flexibility with some isometric maneuvers but once again  I simply
wanted to dance Tango!!
     I rethought my moves. Was it the bench, no  impossible. I double checked
and my fly wasn't open either. A quick look in the  mirror and everything
appeared to be in its proper place. Ah ha!! The  'cabaceo'!! No, I wasn't in
Buenos Aires. Breath freshener? No, never had that  problem. A real conundrum for
sure.
I did have a few  decent dances that evening but overall found this milonga
to be one of the more  snobbish and at the same time ridiculous venues.Hope you
all enjoyed this little  diatribe and please share with me some of your own
wondrous excuses.
Dr.  Dan

Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)