[Tango-L] A walk to die for!

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 10:56:13 EST 2008

More on indirect learning...I call it that because I only want to dance close embrace
social dance tango and yet I've improved through taking classes in Nuevo. I know that
the classes were key because I had a small injury and so wasn't going to Milongas nor
practicas at that time..of course, where I was (in my 11th month dancing) may have been
important, too.
Anyway, the partners that I got to dance with at a later Milonga, all said that my lead was
better...on questioning: more confident, sure, clear.  Ok..my nuevo instructors got rid of a
number of little herky-jerky habits that I had formed...like tilting right and left before starting
the walk...like pausing where I shouldn't pause in the ochos..like not pausing where I should pause in the walk to the cross in cross pattern, being sloppy in my direction/orientation..using my right arm..etc.  The classes were like a tumble of events
each piling onto the other as each sequence was practised with different partners..after
several goes with one partner, the teachers would demonstrate a correction to what they
were seeing..yes, we got to see them dance a lot!!  ..and that was inspiring.
 So, the embosques, ganchos, three sacadas in a row while turning, forward ochos, etc.,
I may never do in my close embrace dancing but after going thru all that for four months,
a slow social dance was thoroughly enjoyable and within my abilities. Thanks Andres + Meredith.
..and now I can look at a walk by Cacho and know that anything is possible..I'm even
mixing different styles of walk (outside left parallel, etc.) and confident that if I get stuck
I'll find a way to step out and get smoothly flowing again...Tango is great!