[Tango-L] Tips for Followers? prt 1

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 00:14:39 EDT 2008

Larry, please send my thanks (and my wish for a few
tandas), to Liz. There is a lot of wisdom in her "Tips
for Followers", and not just for the women. Most of
the men on this list should hope for, and be working
towards, the time that they can dance a woman toward
the kind of experience that this woman describes and
desires, and has obviously experienced.
Women, please take note of the second paragraph!
I do need to say one thing about the third paragraph;
I rarely dance in a straight line, and I think foot
placement becomes, with skill and work, completely led
down to the half-millimeter. Women should not step in
a perfectly straight line unless they are led to do
so, but yes, it looks better, and teachers should make
this a clear goal for dancers; to be able to lead, and
follow, in a manner that both can look elegant in
their steps and stance. I think it would be better put
to the follower; try to place each step the perfect
distance, and in the perfect direction, so that as you
both step, you can easily, smoothly, and with a
minimum of effort, move together into that next
"neutral spot". Women; please take note of the second
paragraph!!!                                     There
is some more I don't necessarily agree with, but
there's enough wisdom in her words to make me think I
may be wrong in disagreeing. I've still got worlds of
tango exploration in front of me, and lots of looking
for the next dance with the woman who understands and
practices what Liz proposes.
Thanks again, to both of you,
Michael Figart II
Houston