[Tango-L] Milonga admissions in Buenos Aires

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sat May 24 20:35:23 EDT 2008

Each year prior to the Campeonato Metropolitano de Baile de Tango, the city
publishes the program for a month of qualifying rounds in the milongas which
includes the cost of regular admission for each milonga.  Entradas aren't
included in magazine advertising, so this is annual review time of entradas.
Only the milongas participating in the qualifying rounds are considered in
this evaluation.

In 2005, the entradas ranged from 2-8 pesos, with only one milonga charging
10 pesos.
In 2006, the entradas ranged from 3-10 pesos with only one milonga charging
12 pesos (the same one that charged 10 pesos in 2005).
In 2007, the entradas ranged from 5-10 pesos with only one milonga out of 40
charging 12 pesos.
This year the entradas range from 8-15 pesos with one milonga charging 20
pesos (Tango Ideal).

One milonga organizer recently asked me why I don't attend her milonga
regularly.  I explained that the entrada, taxis, drinks, and tips makes it
economically impossible for me.  I go regularly to a place I can walk to,
where the entrada is affordable, and I know there will be good dancers.

Many locals are unaware that 20 pesos is being charged by some organizers.
They gasp when I tell them and respond it's crazy.  Is it any wonder that
some places have more foreigners than locals?