[Tango-L] Tango Diversity under one big tent: Nuevo & milonguerohappy together?

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Wed May 14 15:55:16 EDT 2008

The problem is that "Tango Nuevo" is essentially a lie.  I speak as a
former devoted member of that club.

It is not "nuevo" because there is nothing new. It was a disappointing
discovery after I had danced the glorious "nuevo" moves at some
practica in and then danced with an old gentlemen at Sunderalnd that
did as a matter of course one of the moves we were so pround of and
regarded as one of the "nuevo" moves.

It is also not "tango" because it ignores some of the basic principles
of the dance called Argentine Tango.  I don't mean "rejects".  I do
mean "ignores", as if those principles did not exist and/or had meaning.

But... people are free to engage in self-deception.  And... I am free
to entertain myself by appreciating how cute it is when new dancers
get excited about silly little things :)

It is like saying "There is a NEW tango that is being created, and,
Suprise!, we are the innovators!"

When little kids draw some silly picture and smear colors all over and
then present it as if it was the treasure of the world, all proud of
themselves, we are supposed to say "Great drawing!  You are so
talented!"  And then give them a hug and a kiss and send them off to
do more of the same, which they cheerfully and energetically do.
Somehow, we know that this will pass.

I need to stop thinking that "nuevo" fans are serious and mature
dancers.  I need to remember to say "you are great!  this is the best
dancing I have ever seen!" and hope that they will run off and do
something... eventually.

Nina