[Tango-L] Middle of the floor

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 19:23:02 EDT 2008

Keith Elshaw wrote:
>>People in the ronda all-of-a-sudden found/find themselves being
>>blind-sided from bodies coming out of nowhere.

>>People dancing in the middle are ignorant, aggressive, rude people who
>>inevitably bump respectful dancers who don't deserve it. Causing bad
>>feelings.

Keith - That appears to be a somewhat pompous and presumptuous statement.

Although relatively new to Tango (3 years), I have many years of ballroom, country
and other dance under my belt.  It is quite common in most of the world of
dance that "spot dancers" can occupy the center without creating conflict with
those of us in line-of-dance.  Although this may not be what you are "supposed" to
do in tango, I have observed this work effectively in tango as well.  And dancing
in the middle, per se, doesn't create bad feelings in me and I don't see why it
should in others.

It sounds like you are presuming that any dancers who might be in the middle will
dart in and out of the ronda without regard for the rest of us.  I don't believe
that is necessarily true.  Or perhaps you are simply saying that the better and
more experienced one becomes in tango the more one becomes intolerant of
behavioral differences no matter how benign?

Or perhaps are you stating that any dancer in the center who never even
comes close to the ronda is ignorant, aggressive and rude no matter why they are in
the middle of the floor.  Say a dancer is a beginner who finds himself over his
head in navigational complexities, is terrified of bumping into those in the ronda,
and chooses to move to the center out of respect for the rest of us.  Perhaps you
are saying that it is better for him to remain in the ronda and crash into his
neighbors?  Perhaps all beginners should just stay home where they belong and not
intrude on your dance?

I absolutely do not understand the antagonistic attitude that you present.

Cheers

D. David Thorn