[Tango-L] Tango Nuevo Bashing Why?

Laurence Moseley lgmoseley at aol.com
Mon May 12 19:14:11 EDT 2008

I quote from a recent post: " I know that many object to the apparent
lack of musicality exhibited by tango-nuevo dancers (absolutely not
inherently
true in my mind), some object to many tango-nuevo dancers not observing
dance
floor etiquette (likewise, not special to tango nuevo). What else? "

What else do you want? If people cannot dance to Tango music and cannot
dance in a Milonga with other dancers, why on earth should they give
them name Tango to what they do?

People have every right to dance Nuevo - or Ballroom, or Jive, or
Highland Dancing, or whatever they want. They can easily hire a hall
and organise some sessions (I've done just that for ballroom, scottish
dancing, and Morris dancing). It's just that they (a) should not call
it Tango and (b) should not do it in the same space and time where
others are trying to dance Tango and are being impeded.

I could do weigth-lifting and perhaps do it very well. However, if I
did it in the middle of the track during the Olympic 400 metres final,
I would not claim that what I was doing was Sprinting or Running. I
certainly would not be surprised if the genuine sprinters were to
complain about my stationary position and lack of understanding of what
they were doing. I would not expect to welcomed at an athletics club.

Brazos

Laurie (Laurence)