[Tango-L] More Nuevo bashing. Why??

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Mon May 12 18:33:48 EDT 2008

I think there are two or more definitions of nuevo tango.

(1) I learned from Gustavo, Fabian and Chicho back in the last
century, and as far as I understand, they taught Argentine Tango. They
developed a method for analyzing, learning and training in Argentine
Tango. They tried steps on both sides, or reversed the leader's step
to the follower, and examined what you had to change for things to
work. Sometimes that meant compromising the embrace, or sometimes that
meant dropping the embrace.

Of particular value to me from that training was the concept of axis,
and maintaining a balance between the axis of the partners. I use this
concept whether I'm dancing open or close, and it is immensely useful
for diagnosis of technical flaws when learning new moves or teaching.

But, all those concepts are about learning traditional Argentine
Tango, as well as the techniques which make it easy and make a wide
variety of steps possible. If you watch Gustavo dance, his style of
dancing appears very much in the school of traditional salon or salon/
fantasy tango. He has a knack for making an extremely difficult move
appear super-easy.

(2) Now, if I understand correctly, some people these days  are using
the term Nuevo Tango to mean a different style of tango, or tango
danced to non-tango music, or tango danced without respect for the
dance floor, or tango as a collection of "cool moves" (like the the
mermaid move, where the leader picks up the follower and swings her
legs around in a giant circle while she flips her feet like fins;
Laugh away, I've seen it!)

To me, this second definition of Nuevo Tango isn't really about tango.
I mean, at a practice or on stage dance to whatever music you want, or
dance whatever style you want, or do whatever cool moves you want.
It's a free world. There are no rules about what steps are legal or
aren't. C

(3) A milonga is something different from stage or a practice floor. A
milonga is a social setting in which there are certain rules and
conventions. Mostly, these can be boiled down to: respecting the
people around you, fitting into the social environment and energy of
the crowd, listening and dancing to the music, taking care of your
partner and using good floor-craft.

Or am I wrong? Are there actually people who advocate that you can do
whatever you want at a milonga: running into people or racing around
or zig-zagging between lanes?