[Tango-L] Fw: Stone Soup 2008 Follow Up

Astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Thu May 8 23:59:29 EDT 2008

>> > Why are you people in the US so obsessed with classes?

Frankly, Chris, the only one I can see here who is obsessed with anything is
you with your obsession about not taking classes. You keep harping on the
same subject, over and over again, and I have yet to see a feasible
explanation of yours on what is bad about taking classes, and a description
of how you learned to dance without ever taking classes.
I have also yet to meet a dancer who can dance tango without ever having
learned it from a teacher, just because he was born with "Tango running in
his blood", and this is the truth, no matter what Argentines will have you
believe.

>> Uhm......because we have seen what inbreeding in a small geographical
>> area produces?
>
> If you don't like BA-style tango, then there are easier ways to avoid it.

I think, you have not paid much attention as to who Nancy is.

>> I'm so glad to see that list members are stepping up to say negative
>> things about Argentine Tango in the US
>
> Can we take that to mean at least one US person agrees class obsession is
> negative? ;)

getting your hopes up, eh? At least one in the US and at least one in the
UK...

>> and this apparently overwhelmingly popular and positive event.
>
> Overwhelmingly popular with overwhelming class-goers, no doubt.

as I said, on and on and on. One starts to suspect you have to compensate
for or justify something, running around with the torch for non-lesson tango
all the time.

 But what
> about regular dancers?

how do you define the "regular dancer", Chris? I am under the impression,
you mean those guys who have never learned dance technique or taken a three
months crash course at some cheap studio and then were off to troll the
milongas. Berlin has quite a few of those.
At least in BA, the men who could not dance would dance with other men
before they dared to impose themselves on the women.
(no more, i am afraid)

 Let's hear from some of them, please.

if my impression is based on misunderstanding, I am open to being
enlightened by you, but otherwise, would you PLEASE change the subject every
once in a while, Chris, or is that too much to ask?