[Tango-L] Cautions About Lifts

larrynla@juno.com larrynla at juno.com
Wed May 7 02:32:32 EDT 2008

In the show-tango "crime" post I described one lift (the first) in almost enough detail for tango dancers to do it.  I left out one detail that I may have wrongly assumed everyone would know.

"Lift" is a misnomer.  A lift is actually a LEAP followed by a lift.  A follower isn't just a heavy weight to heave around.  She is an active partner.  Unless you are quite strong and she light, you ain't getting her off the ground without her help.

This is the full sequence for a lift from the leader's viewpoint.

Prepare for the lift, REQUEST A LEAP, aid ("lift") the leaping follower into the rest position, settle your partner into position, do added actions, request a dismount, aid the dismount to settle in the right spot, follow-up.

Unless you know your partner has a lot of dance experience and is moving well that night, don't try a lift.  Work on it in a practica with your usual partners before you do it at a milonga.

You can guage your partner's (and your own) readiness for a lift by doing the preparation and the follow-up, but leaving out the middle ("lift") part.

You can also work up to lifts by doing leans first.  They involve a lot of the same skills, and they prepare your partner mentally for doing more than walking movements.

Lifts are certifiably "showy" but don't have to inconvenience anyone if done right and practiced till they feel natural.

Larry de Los Angeles

Prices, software, charts & analysis.  Click here to open your online FX trading account.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iifUxVpKtnaHKXpn4P9Ly7FZxqOiLmwHIjdxEAs4IWsOLW9Ae/?count=1234567890