[Tango-L] Ladies Leading

buffmilonguera@aol.com buffmilonguera at aol.com
Sat May 3 23:36:34 EDT 2008

.. I am a "lady who leads"....actually, most of the time now....I have
only danced, with any success, with 2 men as followers.  I have tried
with others, but I have found that male followers have a tendency to
settle back on their heels and "grow roots" into the floor with every
step, and as suggested by Nina, it's really hard to talk them into 4"
inch heels :)

Your description of following, as Nina points out, leaves a whole bunch
of stuff out, but I am willing to assume that you were just trying to
find the words to describe the experience.  I know I am not always sure
how to describe the difference, but there is a big one.  As I said when
someone asked me which I prefer, I genuinely enjoy both leading and
following - for completely different reasons because they are very
different experiences.

I am surprised that you found women to be insensitive, too "fancy,"
etc.  I learned as a follow, and repeatedly tell new leaders, no amount
of fancy steps can substitute for a warm embrace and musicality.  Not
that I didn't try to learn some of the fancy steps as a new lead, but I
don't worry about them very much when I am at a milonga....and
certainly a lot less than some of the male leads I see/dance with.

I would really love to hear from other women who lead...

Have you joined the Buffalo Argentine Tango Society Yahoo! group yet?
It's easy, and the best way to make sure you know what we're doing and
what's going on with the Argentine tango in and around Buffalo......go
to www.yahoo.com > select Groups > search for Buffalo Argentine Tango
Society > follow the directions to join BATS_tango.  Thanks!