[Tango-L] getting educated

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Sat May 3 08:25:29 EDT 2008

You have them listed thing in order of 'importance'.  It's all good...
The 'end result' of all the learning...

But I did notice the order is  just the reverse of a good order to
actually teach and learn to Tango.   It's probably some natural law of
inverse 'something or other' that accounts for it...

So I've flipped them from top to bottom to show this.

>- For the woman, the knowledge of how to respond to the man's movements.

>- For the man, a knowledge of how to move his body so as to guide the
>direction of the women's steps.

What are the leads iow...

*****

>- For both men and women, an internalized familiarity with the
>characteristic movements of tango, such as walking, crossing, and
>pivoting.

How to make use of them.

*****

>- For the woman, the ability to absorb the music in her body and feel
>immersed in it, and then to receive and respond to what the man
>transmits.

>- For the man, the ability to absorb the music in his body and feel
>immersed in it, and then to transmit what he is feeling in the music
>to his partner.

How to relate to each other and possibly to 'connect'.

*****

>- Familiarity with the music (including milonga and vals) so that the
>dancer hears, feels, and can dance to the rhythm, and is sensitive to
>the musical development in typical pieces of tango music.

How to enjoy it fully.   Along with everything else.., the end goal.

*****

Although I'd leave out milonga.  :-)    It's only danced to burn off
excess energy.   I personally rest during milongas.., so I don't have
to rest during the Tangos that follow.  :-)

Floyd