[Tango-L] Qualifying Tango Instructors.

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 19:44:41 EDT 2008

--- Floyd Baker <febaker at buffalotango.com> wrote:

> As for the actual judging?  .. Groups comprised of people
who are *friendly* to the particular type or style of Tango
that's in the applicant's demo cd's.

Have folks paid attention to how a student introduces a
teacher or how a teacher introduces/talks about a student?
The variations are interesting.

Student about teacher:
- This is my teacher...
- This is one of the teachers ...
- I take classses from ...

Teacher about student:
- This is my student...
- He/she takes classes from me...
- He/she takes classes from me but isn't my student...

There's a teacher here who has been teaching for 7-8 years.
 People will say that they've take classes from him, but I
can't think of anyone who calls him "my teacher".  That one
little word "my" says a lot about the relationship between
the teacher and student - not in a possessive sense, but in
a philosophical sense.  A sharing of ideas or beliefs.
Since the ultimate test of "teachership" lies with the
student, I think that is the required qualification.

But how can one certify that if students have different
needs and goals?  In the end, the students end up finding
the teacher that works for them.  Quite frankly there are
some students that I am not interested in teaching.  So
it's fine with me if they find someone else, even if that
person is less experienced.  Those that are serious will do
the work to find the better teachers, which isn't all that
hard.  It's a matter of just asking around.

Trini de Pittsburgh

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/