[Tango-L] Qualifying... (reply to Joe)

Jake Spatz spatz at tangoDC.com
Thu May 1 17:51:54 EDT 2008

Joe,
> Jake:
>
>  > -- Understanding of what the word "arrastre" means (in the music)
> I hope you will explain this fourth "skill" so that I can start
> working towards my minimum qualifcations.

Use your ears. It's in every song. It's where that feckless drum-roll in
ballroom "tango" music comes from.

Don't listen to mp3s. Lossy compression often reduces it drastically.
> Is it when the bass player does one of those ascending glissandos?

It is not always ascending, nor always a glissando.
> Or is it when the violinists scrape their fingers across the strings below the bridge?

Nope.
> Or is it when the pianist runs his hand up and down the keys?

Nope.
> Or is it when the bandoneons drag their chairs across the stage prior to the concert?

Nope. Translate as "slur."
> Gosh -- do all the qualified instructors really know this one?

According to me, yes. These are MY minimum qualifications, as I specified.

Jake