[Tango-L] Qualifying Tango Instructors.

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Thu May 1 14:00:15 EDT 2008

"syllabus is designed for certification."

After having worked in and around the dance teaching industry for many
years, I personally feel that the "syllabus" is more actively used as
a marketing tool than it is used as a teaching tool. It works so well
as a marketing tool because it looks like the teaching tool we are all
familiar with from our school days, so it must work, mustn't it?

To keep students motivated, they must feel like they are progressing,
and working through a checklist of steps helps do this, whether or not
they are actually learning to dance. Motivated people buy more
lessons, which pays the rent.

I've noticed that "lesson takers" seldom social dance, and
accomplished social dancers take few lessons (and then just the
occasional private or workshop), and not just in Tango.

All IMHO, YMMV