[Tango-L] Qualifying Tango Instructors

Joe Grohens joe.grohens at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:38:38 EDT 2008

 > So how about testing instructors for their competance in teaching
Tango?

Floyd -

With all the smiley faces and stuff it sounds like your "modest
proposal" is ironic, though I'm not sure.

Certification in many areas of teaching and learning is a good thing,
I believe. And certificates for completion of varying levels of
training in Argentine Tango do exist.

. Tango Discovery (Mauricio Castro) has a certification track
    http://www.tangodiscovery.com/TD2/English/program.htm

. DVIDA offers teacher certification using Christe Cote's syllabus
   http://prodvida.com/association/certification_exams/

. Ive Simard's syllabus is designed for certification.
   http://www.elmundodeltango.com/syllabus/syllabus.html

. Other schools offer various types of certificates for completion of
training. For example, Mingo & Esther Pugliese have done this.

People who want to set themselves up as teachers of tango can do so
without qualification, obviously. They don't need credentials,
authorization from anyone, or even much understanding of the dance. If
people learn how to dance from them, great. If people fail to learn
how to dance from them, well, really, so what? It's only a dance.

But I sometimes think that a generally accepted outline of minimal
competencies in tango dancing and tango teaching would be a beneficial
guideline to these amateur tango teachers. Getting "general
acceptance" in the tango world has always been the hard part.

In principle, a comprehensive system of training tango dancers could
and should produce good dancers and good teachers of dancers. Do the
published teaching systems accomplish this? I think it often happens,
for example, that bad dancing is the result of cataloging steps and
classifying styles and techniques. Following syllabi like these can
lead teachers and their pupils to focus on memorizing information (and
yes, patterns) rather than on learning how to dance.

The validity of different training systems for tango is always open to
challenge, of course. Which may seem to make certification pointless.
But the value of certification systems for tango could be, in my view,
not so much for the certificate to be recognized by anyone, but more
to provide path for individuals to develop their abilities.

An interesting question to ask in the case of Argentine Tango is, who
accredited the certifiers in the first place?