[Tango-L] The subject...Pt. 3 (final)

Alex alex at tangofuego.us
Mon Mar 31 10:23:51 EDT 2008

I'm going to chime in here...

It sounds like Andreas might be referring to patterns as habits, e.g.
getting "stuck" in always doing something the same way in a dance - being
repetitive. And "struggling" with the pattern is trying to break the habit.

Versus what Chris is talking about (I think) is the concept of "figures".

But maybe not. I am sure there are some dancers who never get stuck in
"patterns" and therefore never struggle with them. I am sure there are
dancers who never "struggle" with "figures" either.

Most of us, I think have struggled with breaking bad habits or repetitive
patterns, and also struggled with complex figures, as well.

Personally, as far as struggling with patterns, I am still trying to break
myself of the rock step. The only reason being is that I default to it too
often, and by trying to break myself of leading it, in theory, I will open
up other possibilities in my dance.