[Tango-L] On similes and such like...

'Mash mashdot at toshine.net
Sun Mar 30 10:10:29 EDT 2008

Simile \Sim"i*le\, n.; pl. {Similes}. [L., from similis. See {Similar}.] (Rhet.)
A word or phrase by which anything is likened, in one or more of its aspects, to something else; a similitude; a poetical or imaginative comparison. [1913 Webster]

May I please ask why some people have such a problem with similes on this list? Surely people realise that those who put them into their discussions are merely expressing some creative thinking and in the context of their environment and spheres of interest.

"Behold, you are beautiful, my love, behold, you are beautiful! Your eyes are doves behind your veil. Your hair is like a flock of goats leaping down the slopes of Gilead." - Song of Solomon 4:1

One word... "context."

I can understand why "follower", "submission" and "leader" have somehow become dirty words to many. Our current climate dictates that no one has the ability to be responsible without abusing it, and that submission is a sign of vulnerability.

What I love about Tango is that it is one of the few things left that allow men and women to exercise clear roles and when it works the result is such incredible beauty. Submission is not a reflection of lack but a reflection of self confidence in the allowance of another to take a level responsibility for the good of both. Submission to leadership is the giving of responsibility to succour (give aid to) freedom.

Similes; some women which I feel have taken the most offence to these; take pause before you heap prejudice on a man's comments. Allow us men, humbly to think out aloud and allow us the poetic license to describe the moments with you.

Followers allow us to lead; allow us the responsibility for direction, the weight of decision. Allow us to lift you up, free you so that you can close your eyes, be held, in the embrace, in the music.

We dance Tango because of YOU, for YOU, there is little else.

'Mash
London,UK