[Tango-L] The subject...Pt. 3 (final)

Andreas Wichter andreas at tangokombinat.de
Sat Mar 29 15:30:45 EDT 2008

>> The cross is led, as is the weight change at the end.
>
> I guess by some, or even many...    But the ladies would have done it
> anyway.    At least here in the US.

Something I don´t really believe. I haven´t danced in the US yet
(though in many places in Europe, btw, because you questioned that in
an unpublished post), but friends of mine have, and I have heard quite
a bit of praise for the women in New York specifically. No automatic
crosses there. New Yorkers, please correct me if I´m wrong.

>> The single step tango is mostly a myth and I suspect it is quite
>> a modern invention in the consistent sense it is used nowadays.
>
> You do a lot of ballroom.., don't you...   ;-)   You don't seem
> willing to accept the fact there may be another way.

Do you understand the English language?
Let *me* rephrase something for a change so I make myself clear. Tango
is an improvised dance. Everybody, though, struggles with patterns that
have somehow established themselves in their dance, be it through
instruction or acquisition. Some work with them, others try to break
them up as much as they can. So the "single step tango" might be
something we all strive for, but only you seem to have really achieved
it, judging from your videos on your website. Or I guess that is
"unstructured", and with that I´d agree.
I have never danced ballroom in my life except for one class I took
when I was 12 years old and I forgot all about it within a week. My
tango has a pretty high degree of improvisation, though I constantly
strive for more.

>> And let us not forget that tango is indeed always in development (and
>> am not referring to nuevo).
>
> I guess you could say one is *developing* a headache...   <g>

You are badmouthing all kinds of current dancers and teachers.
Especially since you said in the bounced post that "It is not
'developing'.., it is being mechanized" I take exception to that. And I
state again that tango is still developing, and will keep being
developed. Otherwise it would be a dead art. Your high horse is
rocking.

Andreas