[Tango-L] ..where did the balance go?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 28 14:57:18 EDT 2008

Hi Mario,

One of the differences in milonga is that the rhythm is
constantly telling the woman to move.  In fact, one could
say that the woman is always prepared to move in milonga at
every beat.  So it's not that she's more balanced in
milonga as it is that she's always prepared to move.  It
sounds as if this is what you're experiencing.

Generally speaking, it's easier to move faster than it is
to move slowly.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Mario <sopelote at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There is a woman that I dance with in the local Milonga.
>   She is tall and about ten pounds overweight..(medical
> standard)
>   She has been taking classes for a couple of years.
>   Her balance when dancing a slow tango is fatal.
>   She almost falls over when doing a simple side step.
>   It's all I can do to keep her upright.
>   However, in the Milonga (song) she dances as good as
> anyone
>   and better. We dance closely and she never
>   misses a step and her balance/axis is never a problem.
>   I would like to talk to her about this difference in
> her dance
>   but I really don't understand it myself.
>   Can anyone (women especially) give me some idea of
>   what could produce such a  big difference in her
> quality
>   of dance and perhaps how to get her slow tango more
>   towards the balance and sureness of her Milonga ??
> thanks!

  Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh’s most popular social dance!
  http://patangos.home.comcast.net/