[Tango-L] The subject that never dies.

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Fri Mar 28 11:26:32 EDT 2008

Floyd wrote:

<<<<But on the other hand.., it's generally accepted that it did not
originate with Tango.   And I was specifically referring to the 'auto'
cross as being 'contrary'...     That it's an addition introduced by
people other than Argentines.  There were many additions since then of
course, but with this one it is accepted that it need NOT be led.   As
least that's how it's been taught to followers as far back as I know
of it.    I do understand it can be led of course.  But the bigger
problem for the leader now is to NOT have the lady do it.    How did
that come to be?   Certainly not by the original thinkers I'm sure.
Not even the original ladies. They only 'followed'.., didn't they?   I
doubt the original developers would have allowed it even if they had
seen other useful good.   The 'auto' cross therefore flys in the face
of the most fundamental Tango rule.., that every step be led.>>>

Although the cross is one of the rare "automatic" steps in that it doesn't
have to be led (although it is taught that way at the beginning), it can have a
very subtle lead, but it is important to remember you can easily lead the
woman to not cross, if desired.   The basic milongas step, which does not usually
have a cross ( I know many people do it, but it is incorrect) is an example of
that.

Cheers,
Charles