[Tango-L] The subject that never dies.

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Fri Mar 28 11:52:11 EDT 2008

Good morning Andreas...

As for the cross.   I think it's elegant, and a useful move on many
levels.   Besides being what I call a warm and cozy place to be with
your partner.

But on the other hand.., it's generally accepted that it did not
originate with Tango.   And I was specifically referring to the 'auto'
cross as being 'contrary'...     That it's an addition introduced by
people other than Argentines.  There were many additions since then of
course, but with this one it is accepted that it need NOT be led.   As
least that's how it's been taught to followers as far back as I know
of it.    I do understand it can be led of course.  But the bigger
problem for the leader now is to NOT have the lady do it.    How did
that come to be?   Certainly not by the original thinkers I'm sure.
Not even the original ladies. They only 'followed'.., didn't they?   I
doubt the original developers would have allowed it even if they had
seen other useful good.   The 'auto' cross therefore flys in the face
of the most fundamental Tango rule.., that every step be led.

Not only does the lady do the cross on her own.., under circumstances
she has been taught to 'remember' as the time to do it.., which goes
against another basic tango concept..., it is also an un-led weight
change...  ??

So I see it strictly as a 'convention'..  One that leaders have been
told to accept...   One that has been introduced for many reasons, and
not all necessarily meant to improve the dance itself..

As for the other point..    Improvisational Tango is by definition
'unstructured'.   Unstructured, by definition comes before structured.
Improvisational Tango as an unstructured dance may have overlapped
time wise with other 'structured' dances.   But as far as Tango goes
in and by itself, being developed as it was by those doing the 'one
step'.., the original unstructured and 'real'  Tango came way before
structured choreography and the other mechanized versions of Tango
that we have today.   I know it was a slow process, but it matters
not.     Like with my health for instance.  I look back to my cavemen
ancestors for good advice on most everything.   Sun exposure scares,
what one should or should not eat.., etc...   I figure if they got me
here.., they had to doing things right.     That's a thought that I
place much more trust in,  than those espoused by people today who
only want to sell me things.

Tango ancestors are the equivalent here.

I know I don't always make myself clear on all the fine points in my
head.    I hope I've done better.

Hugs...

Floyd