[Tango-L] Heel First?

steve pastor tang0man2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 17:02:15 EDT 2008

I found these two pages a while back, and they do shed light on this topic.
  http://www.oandp.org/jpo/library/1997_01_010.asp
  http://www.oandp.org/jpo/library/1997_02_049.asp
  There is a huge amount of information here. One of the more interesting things
  is the detailed descriptions of how we walk. If you wade your way through the article,
  and in particular look at the figures, you will see that it is normal to begin a step by
  first bringing the heel up off of the standing surface. Likewise, it is normal to land on
  the heel first.
  When taking a small step, rather than walking normally, you don't "have time" to
  take a "normal" walking step.
  A prolongation of keeping the toe on the floor would then be a style thing.
  That said, note that in a normal walk the knee and leg moves ahead before the upper
  body, which is quite unlike tango.
  Nothing about walking backwards, but the "tango walk" for women is hardly natural.