Re: [Tango-L]  Heel First?

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 16:22:13 EDT 2008

re Javier and Andrea video:

Yes, he does walk heel first in a straight line, but I don't think it looks
very nice, and it seems more like a stylistic flourish since most of the other
steps are on the ball first - the side steps and others, especially in the
turns, which only illustrates my point: most of his steps are on the ball first.

The point also brought up about walking naturally is often misunderstood as
well. One shouldn't dance literally like they walk down the street. Most us
would look awful if that were the case. What you should learn to do is move at
your own natural rhythm and find our own natural pace and stride. But you
shouldn't ignore proper technique like remembering to bring the knees together and
collecting your feet together between steps. That is not what you do when
walking down the street, but it is what you should do when dancing.

Cheers,
Charles