[Tango-L] Who invented the basic step?

rhink2@netscape.net rhink2 at netscape.net
Wed Mar 26 17:07:29 EDT 2008

This is an interesting question from an historical perspective.
However even if someone could prove definitively that Gerardo Hernán
Mattos Rodríguez invented the basic step (for example), what would
anyone do with that information?  Incidentally, Gerardo Hernán Mattos
Rodríguez is the composer of La Cumparsita in case you were wondering.
Other than permitting rest of us to derive some gratification heaping
scorn or adoration upon that person, I can't think of a thing.

There is another problem with the question in that basic steps usually
evolve from the dance not the other way around.  Waltz, for example,
evolved from skating.  Which skater is most responsible for inventing
the waltz and thereby indirectly inventing its 3-count basic?  Since
all of dance comes ultimately from walking, who should be credited with
inventing walking?

There are some notable exceptions. Professional dancers often originate
signature steps, but these are not basic steps.

Also party dances (or what I prefer to call contrived dances) do seem
to have definite innovators:  Chubby Checker and The Twist, Johnny Otis
and The Hand Jive, Little Eva and The Locomotion, and, of course, Los
del Río and The Macerena.

I think it would be reasonable to assume that someone trying to teach
someone else tango invented the basic step as a teaching aid.  The
pattern caught on and became the basic step.  That person never chose
to name it something like "Gerardo's basic step" so attribution could
be assigned.  I doubt whether that person ever thought we would be
discussing its origin in 2008. On second thought maybe he/she did
consider this possibility and chose to remain anonymous.

Bob