[Tango-L] Codigos from a woman's POV

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 14:42:10 EDT 2008

--- David Thorn <thorn-inside at hotmail.com> wrote:

> What is most interesting is that, world wide, all
> other social dances seem to get along wonderfully
> without benefit of the codigos, even if the dances
> are quite complex.

But how many of those social dances place the woman's
body in such direct contact with the man and in how
many of them do the dances last for the length of a
tanda ( 10-14 minutes)?

 I really like that I am able to ignore a solicitation
for a dance from someone to whom I do not wish to give
my body.  EG:  on Friday night, following a class for
beginners, one of the men approached a line of
experienced women dancers asking for a dance to
milonga traspie music.  Of course, we all knew he
could not manage the dance after his first lesson so
we all said, "No, thank you."  That did not deter him
- he continued to ask 4-5 women and was shot down each
time.  Had it been a nice, slow, tango with clear
beat, any one of us might have accepted or even
initiated a cabceo to encourage him.  As it was, he
was shot down.

  It is not my "duty" to give my body to any man -
much less to one who might physically hurt me with
rough leads.  It has sometimes taken days for my back,
hand or arms to recover from being man-handled by a
beginner.  It should always be the lady's choice.  The
men who are asked by women should also have the option
to decline a dance - whether it is done thru the
cabaceo or more directly.  The cabaceo works and saves
face and is not unkind.

Nancy

<<Rito es la danza en tu vida
     y el tango que tu amas