[Tango-L] Sigs... Was: Finnish Tandas

Floyd Baker febaker at buffalotango.com
Mon Mar 17 14:41:57 EDT 2008

Barb..

I know you know how to finnish tango...
You've done that here already, right?

But this is about the sig...

Since it's always good to review netiquette occasionally, for
everyone's sake, I thought I'd reply to all instead of doing so
privately.

The netiquette for sigs has been around since the beginning of online
time.  That they be 2 or 3, or possibly 4 lines at the *most*...
Historically they have been  placed unobtrusively out of the way, a
line or two below the validiction and signature.   It was already a
well established practice when I first started communicating via
email, before the internet,  over 20 years ago, with an email address
that was a 'string of numbers' @ compuserv.com.

Sigs were and are meant to allow website urls, quotes that one finds
meaningful, funny expressions, the company worked for, or other short
items that in general help to define one's 'persona'.    Sig changers
have even been deleloped to 'cover more ground', while keeping within
netiquette's guidelines.

So it's very disconcerting to me, and I'm sure to others, to be
reading a post on an aspect of Tango.., and then to have it switch to
something totally unrelated and irrelevant to the subject at hand.
That it is in fact a 'sig'?   No validiction.   No name. Almost as
though the post was made specifically to lead one into the sig.
Closely relating the post to spam.

Another point can be made.  The sig in question seems rather
inappropriate to begin with.    As though inviting the entire world to
join the Buffalo bats.   Surely this is not so.   So to fix this, as
I'm sure most know, it's very easy  for one to have the sig change
automatically.., to match the people one is writing to. The particular
newsgroup.., listserv.., local group.., family.., etc.. I use Agent
myself and I have about 6 different sigs that each attach correctly to
the particular people or person the email is going to. The later
versions of most email apps should have this ability.

We all need to try and keep order.   Allowing the widest possible
interpretation of a post, being careful to not create what are
essentially duplicate threads..,  staying on topic,  and of course
keeping the sigs under control.

Abrazos....

Floyd