[Tango-L] Open Embrace Connection

David Thorn thorn-inside at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:56:04 EDT 2008

Steve - There is a nuevo dancer couple that I see occasionally doing things that look impossible if both lead and follow are not managing their own axis and weight.  Not being a 20 or 30-something, I don't expect to dance like they do, but some, I said some,  of the things that they lead look musical and enjoyable.  Doing them with weight sharing is currently beyond my understanding.  I was mainly wondering how common it is for follows in open to insist on "leaning".  I really have no better word since they would most definitely fall over if I didn't hold them up.  And they do tend to pull me off of my balance.  I haven't yet had the courage to ask that particular nuevo follow for a dance ( I certainly can't dance in their preferred style and they tend not to dance "socially" - just with each other), but maybe I should ask her just to get a better sense of their connection.

With respect to rotator cuff -  the initial damage was due to weight lifting (military press with too much weight).  It is rather easily re-injured by various linear, not rotational, forces.  In particular, constant downward pressure on my right arm combined with a follow clamping down on it with her left is quite painful, even after only one tanda.

Cheers,

D. David Thorn

IMO even in an open embrace there is SOME weight sharing going on.
The amount of shared weight should be negotiated.

PS Your rotator cuffs should be OK since there is no torque or twisting involved.
      I think.