[Tango-L] What tango is and what it is not

Crrtango@aol.com Crrtango at aol.com
Tue Mar 11 11:52:22 EDT 2008

Ron wrote:

<<< I started ballroom dance about 3 years before I was exposed to
(Argentine) [redundant adjective] tango.>>>

There is nothing redundant about the adjective (unless you live in Argentina,
or Montevideo perhaps) since many people here (the U.S.) only associate tango
with the ballroom dance. Obviously it is quite different.  Personally, I want
people to know that I DON'T dance or teach ballroom tango. Besides, believe
it or not, some people don't even realize that tango is from Argentina, or even
more specifically, from Buenos Aires. Perhaps it would be better to just say
"ballroom tango" as opposed to "tango" but I welcome the distinction between
the two, whichever way you parse it.

Cheers,
Charles