[Tango-L] Ecstasis and Control

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 23:10:32 EST 2008

I had an interesting experience tonite...I got roped into going to a school benefit
  that also provided live music...sausa, ballads, mariachi...
  Now, I try to stay away from other than tango music because I will not dance
  other than tango...but I had to go to this event and so I did.
  I was standing around the edge of the dance floor...this very night my favorite
  Milonga, elsewhere in town, was cancelled and so here I was, listening to
  cha cha cha and not wanting to dance...a woman friend, of the proper height,
  struck up a conversation about the tango (she knows I'm obsessed)...
  I tried to explain the attraction of the dance...that, for me, it was a combination
  of Ecstasy and Control....that the rest of the folk were bobbing and weaving to
  Ecstasy but had very little Control...and the combination of the two produced a
  building passion....for me.....well, it's fun to talk but the more I did, the more I
  wanted to dance....and so, when they finally played a driving ballad (bollero) I
  asked her to dance.......I held her Milonguero style, and from the beginning,
  began to restrict her movements...I whispered in her ear that she was to follow
  me and had no will of her own....she was to surrender to the music and to my
  lead....she repllied..."aha, that's why you like the tango"...I knew that she missed
  it but I nodded 'yes' anyway.... I found that by strongly leading a backward walk,
  she would walk freely and straight with balance..she accepted the giros nicely
  we were suddenly having some of the quality of a tango while dancing to a
  latin Bolero...she wanted to bobb side to side and 'express' an independent
  rhythm but I refused to let her do it...I held her closer in an abrazo milonguero
  and she got the message....the whole experience reinforced, for me, the beauty
  of the Tango and some of it's intrinsic elements.... I was home and feeling the
  trance of tango bliss...I will love no other dance.