[Tango-L] Ballroom vs Tango: Cross feet

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Mar 6 23:12:36 EST 2008

Carol:
Based on my interpretation of your descriptions, Samba walks (couple is side to side) is done on PARALLEL feet. When they change sides, the couple is doing shadow botta fogoes. However, they are on PARALLEL feet because they are changing their position relative to each other. Yes, the woman is in front of the man, but sometimes she is on his left and other times on his right. It's called shadow botta fogoes because the man's inside foot lines up with the wmoan's inside foot. (When the woman is on his left, his left foot lines up with her right foot. whenthe woman is on his right, her left foot lines up with his right foot.) If you're coming to Atlanta Tango Festival, I can better illustrate.

My ballroom instructor doesn't use the terms parallel and cross feet. She just says "hold on 2" or "hold on 3" etc. But I'm skipping a step for all shadow position figures requiring cross feet.

Michael
I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango