[Tango-L] practice, practice, practice

Karen Whitesell kglass02 at centurytel.net
Thu Mar 6 20:19:29 EST 2008

Dear Mario, beginners, and all,

The best way to practice the walking is to vary the timing.  Walk on the
beat, pause on the beat in place, walk double time, and walk half time.
Practice walking the phrases.  Tangos are usually in 4 beats or 8 beats.

1.  Walking on the beat is 1,2,3,4.

2.  Pausing on the beat is 1,2, 3 in place, 4 in place. Or 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 in
place, 8 in place.

3.  Walking double time is 1,2,3 AND 4.(slow, slow, quick, quick, slow).

4.  Walking half time is walking only on the first beat.1,...1,...

Jennifer and Ney had the best advice when to dance the half time:  When the
vocals or violins are playing. You're not hearing a pronounced beat, then
just go slow, ... slow,... slow,... slow...  Then pick up the pace when you
hear a good beat. Try it leaders, this will break you of just dancing beat,
beat, beat, beat, all the time.

There are many ways to walk, just these four variations will always make it
interesting for followers.  Not only in practice but right on to the milonga
floor.  Remember, we are hearing one thing and following another. It is
really nice when we hear the same rhythm together.  So, mix it up.  This
keeps me smiling.

Karen