[Tango-L] Get real

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 20:10:13 EST 2008

OK Anton, while I don't quite agree with you (see more on that below), let's pursue it a bit more. What is it about the music that makes it so special for you? In one sub-thread we were talking in the context of the difference between
Argentine and Ballroom tango. A private post to me suggested that
ballroom tango music is significantly different than "golden age"
(which I prefer as a label over "old") tango music, in that BT music is very march-like, without the changes in tempo and mood that GA music has. But what is it for you, Anton?

But to my disagreement with you: If you videotaped two couples dancing
AT steps in close embrace, one of them to GA music and the other to
something like Tango to Evora or the Theme from the Tango Lesson, then
watched them without sound, would there really be any doubt that they
were both dancing Argentine Tango? They'd still have the embrace and
the connection and the synchronicity of their steps, so would you still
decline to call their dance AT?

        TangoMoments.com