[Tango-L] Floor Finishes

JOANNEPROCHASKA@aol.com JOANNEPROCHASKA at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 14:04:17 EST 2008

Here is the products that were used by Premier Hardwood Floors, Inc.
(440)933-5080 on our maple hardwood dance floor in 2004.
The first coat was an oil-based polyurethane.  I do not know the name of the
product.
The second coat was a water-based polyurethane product called "Mega" in the
semi-gloss (they recall) made by Bona Kemi.
In 2006, we had Premier resand the floor, because we had some "cupping" of
the boards.  They re-applied the "Mega"  coating at that time.
All has been fine since.  I did start using a humidifier in the winter in the
room, because the furnace dries out the air so much in the winter.
For more product info, go to:
www.bona.com
On the home page, select "Bona Products" on the top contents bar.
Then on the next page, under "Finishing Products", click on "Waterborne".
Then click on "Bona Mega".
You will see a short description of the Bona Mega product.
It says:
"Oxygen-crosslinking polyurethane (OCP) waterborne formula with extraordinary
performance.  The oxygen in the air is the "corsslinker".  No additives to
mix, no limited pot life and no wasted finish.  Bona Mega is the proven
performance and value standard in the industry.  Greenguard certified for indoor air
quality."

I hope this helps in your floor refinishing project.
You mentioned that you did not think this topic would be of widespread
interest.
I do believe that anyone who has been dancing for whatever amount of time, in
one dance form or another, realizes the importance of a surface that enables
them to dance without distraction.
IMHO, there are two main things that we, as organizers, must provide
(besides, of course, dance partners, which is somewhat out of our control) if we
expect people to come to our dances.  They are 1.) a great surface to dance on,
and, 2.) great music.
To me, every other aspect of the venue comes after those two things.
Joanne Pogros
Cleveland, Ohio