[Tango-L] Tango styles and labeling

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Mar 4 19:30:33 EST 2008

Anton Stanley wrote:
> The label "old style" doesn't seem appropriate for a style of
> music which is overwhelmingly the most played at Milongas
 > throughout the world, in the present.

Yes, but most of the performers are dead. That qualifies as "old", doesn't
it?

Mind you, I lament that change - I'd yearn for composers and orchestras
that start to compose and play for dancers. There aren't many, though,
and many musicians I've encountered somehow find playing for dancers
something inferior to "real art", so I don't think it's going to
change that fast.

> In this age, "old" carries with it a degenerative implication.

Not to me. I like my computers new, but apart from that there's beauty
in old things. And new things made through crafstmanship instead
of "new" mass production, too.

Alexis Cousein                                  al at sgi.com
Senior Systems Engineer/Solutions Architect     SGI/Silicon Graphics
--
<If I have seen further, it is by standing on reference manuals>