[Tango-L] FW: Tango styles and labeling

Anton Stanley antonst at alidas.com.au
Mon Mar 3 21:16:34 EST 2008

With the List's forbearance, I've basically been trying to get members'
opinions on whether Nuevo Tango is Tango evolution or a style
(sub-branch) of Traditional Tango. Much in the way of Vals, Milonga. I
know that Tango has a mix of many other styles in its genesis. If Nuevo
is the evolutionary result of Tango (albeit in progress) I fear the
coffin has being built for traditional. On the other hand if Nuevo is
considered a distinct style, the development of traditional Tango should
theoretically continue. I know I've been hearing what I believe new
compositions of "traditional" and any list member willing to share some
of their knowledge in this area would be appreciated. IMHO it would be
the greatest Tango tragedy, if traditional music was to die with the
Milongeros/as. From the huge number of varying opinions about what makes
Tango, I have satisfied myself that it's all about the music and very
little to do with steps/figures.

For what its worth
Anton