[Tango-L] Nuevo y Viejo

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:58:17 EST 2008

> Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:43:09 -0800
> From: sopelote at yahoo.com

>   ... if they had their own threads or forums...

Maybe we should adopt the convention used by Tango-A, that being, the first characters in the subject line denote the area of the world where the announced event is being held, e.g. NE, NW, EU, SA, etc. We could have ALT and TR for alternative vs. traditional music, NV and MLNG for nuevo vs. milonguearo dancing...

I agree the continual sniping is completely unproductive. Every few months a new member joins the list and feels the need to share with the world what he passionately believes is the true argentine tango in regards the embrace or the music. Those of us who've been on the list more than a couple of years have heard it all before, usually several times. OK, so that's what you and a bunch of people believe. So, perhaps I and a bunch of other people believe differently. Who cares? Hammering back and forth with repeated position statements does not convince anyone to change their  opinions.

So maybe I'm an idealist, but I'd like to see the Tango-L be more productive. Just as the guidelines explicitly prohibit non-value-added posts like, "Me too," so perhaps there ought to be a guideline that prohibits contrary position statements. If someone posts about a technique for dancing musically to hip hop, then the only posts that should be made in response are those that directly and productively apply to the question, and everyone inspired to post that the subject is uninformed or not really tango, should just bite their tongue and realize that in over 1000 members on the list, there will likely be at least a few for whom the subject is indeed relevant and valid. If you disagree with their beliefs, delete their posts.

     TangoMoments.com