[Tango-L] Nuevo y Viejo

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 13:43:09 EST 2008

It seems to me that with the two different styles of Tango
  that post here, and each taking potshots at each other
  it will be very rare that someone takes a chance and
  posts an in-depth opinion on some aspect of their dance.
  There is enough criticism within each dance style
  and to add the across-styles criticisms is daunting
  to the potential poster.
  I would wager that both Old and New style Tango
  dancers would feel much more at home and appreciated
  if they had their own threads or forums...
  Seeing that this may be too difficult for those in charge
  to manage, I guess we will have to bear with the endless
  arguements about which is Tango and which is not.
  I, personally, am into this dance for the connection
  of the close-embrace and the music. If I had to dance
  open, I would not dance Tango. I would only listen.
  Having said that; I also feel that the nuevo tango music
  and open stage-like dancing is definately a wave of the
  future and will evolve into who-knows-what? ..good luck
  to you and I'll be watching....but I'm really only
  interested, at present, in acquiring the close-embrace
  milonguero style of dance. ...If I continuously have to
  wade thru open embrace posts and sniping back and
  forth between the two dominant styles, I will simply
  dance more and read Tango-L a lot less.
   I just wanted to post my two cents on this.
   If this were Oil Painting, Tango L is like posting
  Abstract and Representational art themes in the
  very same forum.....confusing and unsatisfying.