[Tango-L] Changes of direction

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 14:08:55 EDT 2008

Chris' comments don't really seem to tell the story correctly. What I've
learned from Gustavo Naveira and others is that there are only 6 'changes
of direction' and each is a single step. They are:

Right foot front cross to left foot back cross;
Right foot back cross to left foot front cross;
Right foot open step to left foot open step;
Left foot front cross to right foot back cross;
Left foot back cross to right foot front cross; and
Left foot open step to right foot open step.

The second of each 2-step sequence above is the 'change of direction' and
it's not just a rebound action but inludes a pivot. If done as part of a
Giro, it changes the center of the circle. I believe Sergio already
explained it perfectly but Chris didn't seem to understand. They're a lot
of fun to dance, but not easy, and they're definitely not figures that you
can learn by 'just dancing'. Instruction is definitely necessary.

They're best done without the lady 'collecting', which is what makes them tricky to lead. Too many ladies learn to [always] collect as beginners and
then do it automatically. It becomes a habit that later needs to be
corrected.

Jack