[Tango-L] Closing remarks on the Apilado, marketing thread

Amaury de Siqueira amaurycdsf at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 29 22:49:50 EDT 2008

Sergio and Chris Thank you for the genuine effort to keep the discussion coherent, civilized, and even toned.  I was compelled to write the initial posting after disheartening experiences on past milongas.

In the past two years I have encountered some hostility from folks claiming that Apilado style is the only way to dance tango.  While visiting a milonga for the first time in a certain mid-west city I was approached by one of the milonga organizer and literally belittle for not adhering to a strict closed embraced tango dance. In yet a second mid-western city, a dancer from Atlanta, Georgia refused to step on the dance floor with me unless I danced strictly close embrace!  In both instances I conformed (in sadness) with the local requirements.

On a very recent trip to Boston I had an incredibly pleasant time on the dance floor. Pamela and her husband (MIT tango instructors) were very hospitable and courteous. I also had the opportunity to dance with (two local dancers) Gina Mora and Debbi Hobson ... marvelous dancers... neither imposing a particular dance form.

I believe our learning process is not limited to dancing alone.  Students will learn much more than just steps from instructors.  It would be wonderful if instructors would act more responsibly placing their marketing needs in a secondary place to teaching tolerance and respect to all styles.

And Nancy in regards to your postings on Susna Miller... No one attacked her reputation ... its sad when peoples ideas and opinions are purposefully twisted and misrepresented as personal attacks.  It is responses like yours  that promote disruption and flames in online environments.

Amaury