[Tango-L] Nuevo, Apilado, marketing

Felix Delgado felixydelgado at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 29 21:58:34 EDT 2008

> From: stermitz at tango.org
> To: tango-l at mit.edu
> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:33:20 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Tango-L] Nuevo, Apilado, marketing

> By Irene Amuchastegui and Laura Falcoff
> Clarin NespaperSunday, August 8, 1999
>
> NEW STYLES OF DANCE GENERATE CONFRONTATIONS AND POLEMICS BETWEEN
> MILONGUEROS
>

> What is being favored today on the dance floor? If it is what can be
> observed with more frequency, one would say that three tendencies are
> disputing for supremacy: the Urquiza style, the Almagro style and the
> Naveira style, as the fans know them, - implying a neighborhood, a
> club and a teacher.

I know what Almagro (milonguero) style tango is because that is what I have studied most recently and what I now dance. I never thought milonguero style had to be danced using short steps. It is a high floor density that causes short steps, so it is not dictated by the style.

I have never been clear on the real difference between milonguero style and Urquiza style. Both are danced in close embrace, right? I sometimes get the expression 'estilo Villa Urquiza' is just another marketing tool (just as is 'estilo milonguero').

What is it that characterizes Urquiza style? I don't think it is long steps.

I haven't been to Buenos Aires, but I didn't think the Naveira (nuevo) style is danced in the milongas because it takes up too much space. (Maybe this is the style of tango where the long steps are really used.)

> They are not difficult to distinguish. Make yourself comfortable on a
> stool by the bar and you will see them move over the waxed surface: a
> couple that advances with long steps, touching the floor as if they
> are wearing gloves on their feet (Urquiza), is followed by other
> couple closely embraced and whose short steps adjust synchronously to
> the beat (Almagro), and behind, a third couple that unfolds all the
> imaginable variety of figures which the previous couples can do
> without (Naveira). Adding to that, there will be another couple
> schooled in the style of Antonio Todaro and belonging to an elite with
> technical formation, that alternates between the social dancing at the
> milongas and the professional stage performances.

Felix