[Tango-L] Nuevo, Apilado... and marketing. The botom line is always $$$

Amaury de Siqueira amaurycdsf at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 16:29:35 EDT 2008

Just out of curiosity...  Was not Susana Miller one of the very first dancers to create the distinction between "tango" and "tango close embrace (apilado)"?  Some say she did so out of marketing reasons... sort of creating a niche for her own business.   I dont know much about this, but it seems plausible that one may create clear distinctions in order to justify their own style and teaching fees.  If you doubt what I am saying take a look at this page : http://www.tangodowntown.net/susanabio.html

It is almost as if talented (or not so talented) dancers that are not able to reach the heights of true masters have to create their own little corner where they can shine for a moment their own dance style.

I am a bit puzzled... Why cant we simply say... I like dancing tango with a close embrace.  For me the most important thing is to give to my partner the best possible experience.  If he/she likes apilado... why not?...; tango nuevo?... sure!

And if I , for any reason, do not like the experience...  I can always say...Thak you.

Amaury