[Tango-L] fwiw my 2 cents

Dubravko Kakarigi dubravko_2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 11:48:25 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
> I've been told that posting a link to a youtube video and not saying much is NOT adding content to Tango-L
>  What is 'content' anyway? ..are 'changing directions' full of content because they are full of words?

Content to me would be for you to tell us what it is that you got ouf of it specifically when you watched a particular video clip. (BTW, most of the videos you point out I have seen before and so have, I am sure, many others.) But, I am interested in what you find in those clips for yourself. What questions might come to your mind and such. Then, we can have a possibly constructive discussion, rather than pontification.
Does that make sense?
BTW, I have studied many a video of Julio and Corina (both on Youtube and on their instructional DVDs and other sources), have admired much and adopted ideas I liked. If you are interested, I can tell you what specifically I liked and disliked. For example, I like very much their flow of dance. Their giros flow is nothing short of spectacular. I do not like thier embrace and posture. I saw a video my friend took of them dancing in a milonga in Buenos Aires and it was truly spectacular the way they danced in such confined quarters. I would never want to dance the way they dance, it is not my dance, but many ideas in their dance are beautiful, very useful, and wiorth studying. One more thing about Julio and Corina. they seem to dance all different dances pretty much the same (spectacularly technically well done) way.
It is my experience that every dancer must find his or her body which will lead them to dance the best they can. No amount of imitation will give them that. Ideas - yes; copying - no. Some time ago I found out that what I thought to be a drawback (my height) I was able to turn into advantage and now I take full advantage of it and can thus give my partner a unique experience of dancing - not better, but unique. I still use the following quote as a motto: http://dubravko.kakarigi.net/graham.htm (you might need to copy and paste the link into your browser's URL window)