[Tango-L] In defense of the basic eight count steps

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Tue Jun 17 08:01:00 EDT 2008

> I was taught the ocho cortado in one class (without basic 8)
> and it was just an isolated form that was out there twisting in the
> wind, I didn't know where/when to use it.

Mario, please try listening to the music. As the step is danced to you.

> When I was told to start it after step four, it made sense
> somehow...it existed in a context.

What tells us when to make a step is... the music. The only context in
which the steps makes sense is... the music. Once you've experienced that,
you'll understand why the context labelled "Step Four" counts for nothing.

Barbara wrote:

> In over 20 years of dancing tango, almost all of our teachers among the
> top living and dead, taught the D8CB.

Let's not mistake a means of making money for a means of making dancers.

--
Chris