[Tango-L] In defense of the basic eight count steps

Barbara Garvey barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Tue Jun 17 03:30:52 EDT 2008

Aside from astonishment that Mario has never encountered the D8CB, he
does have some valid points. Actually our students don't hear about it
until someone asks and we are forced to explain.  Al and I do however
teach a  4CB, that is a salida from 2 to 5. In over 20 years of dancing
tango, almost all of our teachers among the top living and dead,  taught
the D8CB. Of course, the Tango-L taught us the error of their (the top
living and dead, very few of them performers, but none on the Tango-L
:-)   ) ways. We have always taught Step One not as the Dreaded Back
Step but as an in-place preparation to dance, posture, listening to the
music, connecting to your partner by .refining the embrace. We are
specific and detailed about Steps 2 through 5, so rich in technical
content and so frequently used by maestros in workshops, they do create
a structure that is not only useful but  a prerequisite for Intermediate
and future classes. Don't talk to me about Advanced dancers; I bet there
aren't more than 3 on this List, and I'm not one of them.

I  wish that our Intermediate students would not rebel at spending a
number of weeks exploring and refining the 2-5 basic.(The Puerto
Vallarta tango community is not established enough for us to risk losing
one devotee). We don't teach the Tango Close until it is unavoidable.
Nevertheless in almost all workshops we've attended and almost all
tango instructional videos, including the most *enlightened*  the
backward One is used, and the Tango Close after every figure. Why can't
they just walk?

Mario's enthusiasm for a prescribed timing is less understandable. If
one listens to the music, dances with intention and precision, the
timing just happens ?no? Intention and precision are the operative words
assuming listening to the music every possible waking moment for at
least the first 5 years. And I don't mean Enya.

Excuse the rant. Love to all,
Barbara